Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 142

There are about 37 school days left in the term. I am very excited with that fact. Excited and a bit worried. While the person I took over for this year has said that she isn't coming back, the district had to open up the job again. Meaning that I have to apply for the job again. Meaning that other people have the opportunity to apply for the job as well and if they are more qualified than I am, I may not come back even though I taught here for the past year. Ugg. Maybe I'm just psyching myself out over all this or I have a real concern for everything. I know that there are a few people graduating in the same major I did who may be a bit more qualified than I am, but I'm trying to not let that stop me.

But at least my classes have been going somewhat smoothly. The Comp Tech class finished Excel with very little bleeding and now they're on to Word. It is amazing how many of them said they know how to use a word processing program, yet when I ask them to do simple things, they have no idea how to do it.

The Digital Media class is moving along well. They are working in their final portfolios and on entries for the multimedia arts festival. I haven't emphasized that too much because there have been so many problems with communicating with the festival directors, but I'll enter anything my students want to enter. It is their work.

The Film class is coming to a close. They have completed their entries for the film festival and I'm uploading them as I get their final copies. I've got a good amount of them loaded, but I'm just waiting on a final few to get to me. I think my students have a chance considering their films are story based and they are pretty well filmed considering the equipment I had this year. I'm excited to see how they do.

But teaching is getting more and more frustrating at times. I just want to smack them at times to actually bring their notes and start looking at them instead of coming straight to me when they have a question. I want them to figure it out for themselves instead of asking. Many times when they have a question, I don't go to them right away; I make them wait to see if they can figure it out for themselves. Many times they do, it's just they don't want to because it is "easier" or "faster" to just ask instead of think.

I'm just glad Spring Break is next week. I really need a week to re-energize.

No comments: