What a way to start the school day.
Today I walked into the school and it was pretty dark going up the staircase. Usually the little side lights are on but today they weren't. I got to the top of the stairs and started going inside the building when I noticed that there weren't any students wandering around and the hall was pitch black. At first I thought that someone had put paper over the window from the stairwell to the school but when I opened the door, nope. The school was pitch black. The next thought that came to my mind was "did my clocks get reset and I'm just really early?" I look a look at my watch and nope, it was the right time.
As I was trying to wind my way through the darkness--using my cell as a flashlight--I heard a few other teachers and yep, their rooms were exactly the same. All the power in the school had died. The power for the entire block was out. Apparently the freak snowstorm that we had last night did a number on a few transformers in the neighborhood.
So for about 20 minutes, the teachers were sitting on one side of the gate while all the students were being shuttled into the commons area. Everyone started to think that the power wouldn't come back on soon, so a few left. Even the teachers started to think that we could go home. But then, 5 minutes after we had started to think that . . . the power came back up. You should have heard the groan coming from the commons.
What the students don't realize is that if the power had stayed off and they had canceled school, it would have meant taking 1 day off of Spring Break. And I really want that entire week to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment