Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 133

So things may be looking up in the job front anyway. The Principal talked with the teacher that I took over for this past year and she said that she doesn't have any immediate plans to come back, but she may change her mind. But the Principal said that he was going to open up the job and for me to apply again. If she decides to come back then she has to apply as well and since I've gotten some great reviews lately, I may have this job in the fall. If I do, it'll be a contracted job and then I can look into getting a masters and having the district pay a good chunk of it.

End of term really stinks. I'm not on the student side of things anymore, but it is amazing how many students leave things until the end and then beg and do/say anything to get me to change their grade or their attendance in order to fit their needs. I had one student come yesterday and ask if he could bring me lunch or wash my car in order to get his grade up and make up for some of the tardies that he's had over the term. Now, if I took advantage of everything these students offer, I would have a clean car, landscaped yard, lunch almost every day, deep cleaned carpets, and cleaned classroom. And that's just the offers I received in the past 2 weeks. I don't take the offers because 1)they don't really appeal to me, 2)it is against the law for a teacher to accept bribery, 3)it's wrong, 4)I could lose my job and my ability to teach in this state, 5)It doesn't teach them anything. Not going to happen. They need to learn respect and responsibility and if that means failing a class because they didn't do what was needed, then so be it.

No comments: