Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 119

I feel like I'm on a roller-coaster with the classes. Yesterday they were great! Today, not so much. Yeah, while it isn't exactly the same students (some are) they are on a completely different layout today. The Computer Tech classes were complaining today that they didn't get enough time to complete their project because I didn't give them enough time. I gave them the exact amount of time that the other classes got, I guess they think that I'll be nice and not dock them points for it being late. Think again. I even gave them 1 extra day and they still didn't get anything in. I'm going to be putting zeros on their grades this afternoon, so we'll see how many complaints I get now.

The film class--which has been my bane in the past--was actually pretty good today, except for a few students. I had 2 students come up to me today and say that they were going to drop the class 4th term because it is too much stress. Really? Too much stress? How is it too much stress when I give you a deadline that is a week away, you get to work every day in class, I leave my lab open during lunch and after school for you to work. How is that any more stressful than any other class? The only homework I really give is for you to work on your film. If you need to film out of class, film. If you don't, then don't. It is that simple. It is all about time management and if this class gets you to actually do that, then I'm accomplished something.

I'm just glad that this week is finally over and we can start something new next week. There are only a few more days left in this term, so we'll see what happens next week when I tell them that they've got 8 days left in the term to actually get stuff into to me. The look on their faces when I said that their opportunity to turn in Unit 1 late was passed. One student came up to me and said "It is my right to turn something in late if I want. I'm entitled to it".

I really hate that phase: I.Am.Entitled. I think that is what is wrong with today's society, especially many youth. I know of only a few who don't have that attitude and that is because their parents don't have that attitude either. I think the only thing that you are entitled to in the school system is the right to receive an education. You are not entitled to an A if you don't do the work. You are not entitled to waste my time just because you think the subject matter is stupid. Yet many of my students seem to have this attitude. I had a few students come up to me with their parents at PTCs telling me that they don't think it's fair the way I teach or the way I grade. One student and his parent in particular said that if something is turned in it shouldn't matter when it is turned in, it should be treated and graded the exact same. So what they basically told me was that deadlines really mean nothing?

Okay, something new. As I was sitting here a student came in, we'll call him Fro. Fro came to talk to me about what he could do to raise his grade. I told him to actually turn in his work and his grade will go do. He looked at me and said "Really? It will?" He was completely sincere. And I told him yes and he said he'll be back for my after school lab to finish it. I'm guessing that he's getting some crack down by one of this other teachers or his parents. Fro comes into class 10-15 minutes late almost everyday. Today he asked me if there was anything he could do to make up the points he's lost from being tardy and I said that I don't do any attendance make up. He was flabbergasted that I don't because some other teachers do.

Ugg. What am I going to do with Fro. . . . .

2 comments:

Sovknight said...

When you talk to other teachers, do they say the same things? I imagine they must. It boggles the mind how lazy and ignorant kids are today, but when I look at society as a whole, and especially my peers (I'm about the age that most of your kids parents probably are) it doesn't surprise me. My generation grew up in an era of general economic and political stability, and one of massive technological progression. In short, we got lazy, dependent, and ARROGANT. Obviously, we've passed that on to our children, who are even MORE ARROGANT than we are.

I apologize for Generation X, but if there were more teachers with your philosophy and attitude, maybe things could be changed for these kids.

ondiv said...

"So what they basically told me was that deadlines really mean nothing?"

I have to share an experience I had with Jaiden the other day. After returning from PTCs I sat down with him and asked him why project A or B wasn't completed when it was due last week. I about fell out of my chair when he said, "Due date and deadline aren't the same thing..."
Doug and I had a "discussion" with him about how they ARE the same thing.