Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 108

Today has been relatively easy, which is nice. The counselors came in to work with my freshmen on their SEOP stuff (student education occupation plan) so that means I have extra time to grade and get other things done; which is nice considering I'm behind in my planning for my next MultiMedia unit. We're going to be doing 3D work, but I'm really bad at 3D, so I need all the practice I can get. I am worried if I put too many assignments for the Flash unit for them. Many of them still have a lot of work due and I'm not about to put a 0 in their grade for not doing it because that will tank their grades. I'll wait about a week and keep reminding them then I'm 0 everything out. If they weren't listening to me before then they'll be listening to me then because their grade has been effected.

The film students are still trying to push my limits. I had a few when I told them that they had to complete everything in class try and get away with not doing it, and when I put a 0 in and his grade went from a A- to a F, he got rather huffy with me. The funny thing about that is the fact that one of the administration was sitting right behind him while he tried to wheedle his way around me and my rules. It was quite entertaining when the administrator spoke up before I could and the boy really jumped. Made me smile.

But my 2nd hour Comp Tech really outdid themselves this morning . . . in front of the counselors. When I was trying to start they were still talking and laughing and not paying attention to anyone, so I barked. Yep, I yelled. I've got a pretty loud voice and that was the first time I had to raise my voice to these students. The look on some of their faces was priceless. The one thing I don't like about doing stuff like that is those students who are actually doing really well and aren't making any problems; they get caught in the middle and I feel bad for them. But they will be docked points and now they don't have the privilege of choosing their seat.

My 4th hour is in with the counselors right now and from what I can hear they are doing really well, which I am amazed. This class is right after lunch and they are either zombies because they didn't eat or they are hyper because of all the sugar that was in their lunches. We'll see how the rest of the day goes, but I'm hoping that things work out.

No comments: