What is it with students and not wanting to read?! I had one student today (a freshman) ask me a question that was laid out in the directions. I asked him if he had read the directions and he said "There are too many. Plus, you already know the answer, so it's quicker this way". No, I didn't give him the answer, I wasn't going to and I told those around him not to give him the answer either. If he would have just read direction 1, he would have answered his own question.
That has been happening a lot lately. I say a direction--1 step direction--and 10 minutes later I get a question about that direction saying they don't get it. On a page are 10 step directions practically holding their hand, walking them through it; it even gives them the cell addresses and equations to use in that cell, but they still "don't get it". I am done answering questions along those lines. I can understand if you don't understand it after a few minutes of trying to figure it out but only after a few moments of getting the program open? Yeah, not happening.
Also, the lack of respect in the classroom is beginning to get to me. And its not just from the students. Sometimes dealing with the parents is worse! I had a mother come in yesterday and ask why her student had lost points in the participation/professionalism portion of his grade. When I told her that he was being disrespectful to both me and fellow students she clicked her tongue and said "Well, you just didn't understand him then. My son would never do something like that." And when I showed her the note that he was passing around, "Anyone could have written this and put his name on it". Really? Geez, give me a break! I'm not that stupid! Your son isn't the only kid in the class! I have 32 other students in that particular class and about 140 all together. She told me that I had to put the points back on or she would go to the principal with the accusation that I wasn't being fair to students and I just didn't like her son so I was docking him points. So guess what I did? I told her that is fine with me and if she wanted me to get the principal on the phone, I would be more than happy to call the main office. The look on her face was great. What was the son doing the whole time you ask? Well, he had sat down at one of the computers and was doing some of his homework. Yep, he was doing homework while his mother did all his dirty work. I've had problems with this student before today and when I contacted a few of his other teachers, I found that the attitude problem wasn't just in my class. He was disrespectful to almost all his teachers.
I know I've said this before, but I would dare treat my teachers the way some of these students treat me. On Tuesday I threatened my 4th period with a seating chart because they were being disrespectful (and in front of the counselors as well!) and one student told me "You can't do that! We're free to sit where we want and talk when we want." Needless to say he is front and center on my seating chart. Some of them grumbled a bit today when I told them where they get to sit, but a few of them were kind of happy that I did what I did. I did get a complement from another teacher who sat in on one of my classes. She did say that I have command and control of the class unlike any 1st year teacher she's ever seen. Many of the teachers she's come across are either scared or put-off by the students and their parents. I had to smile at that. At least, if anything, I'm teaching them that their attitude does affect their grade.
It'll be interesting to see what happens at PTCs next week. I know I've got a few things coming my way in regards to unhappy parents and students.
1 comment:
Sometimes I don't know how you can do what you do. I don't think I have the patience to deal with little punk kids. Probably why I should never be a teacher.
Post a Comment