So I've decided that, in order to keep my sanity from deteriorating any farther than it already is, I'm going to try and keep a record of my first year of full-time teacher. We'll see how well this goes as the year progresses, but hopefully it'll be a good outlet for me.
For the past week, I've been going to a lot of pre-school start meetings. Monday was the New Teacher Orientation--which seemed geared more towards the elementary teachers than anything else. But it was a good entry to the district . . . at least for me it was a bit boring because I've already been with the district for the past year. Not in a teaching position, but I know most of the ins and outs of the district policies. There was a bit of good information, but mostly it was kind of boring. At least I was fed.
Tuesday and Wednesday were something called EYE Training. EYE stands for Early Years Enhancement, which basically means that they want us to get our ESL endorsements. That was what those two days were really about. I do get some college credit for attending those two days plus two more this coming year, so that is good for moving up in the pay scale. These meetings were good, but most of the information just doesn't apply too much to CTE. We're kind of out on our own when it comes to stuff like this. Yes, we get ELL students (English Language Learners) in our classes, but what we teach is the industry standards, which are universal (mostly). I'll see what I can do to incorporate what I've learned 1)because it is part of the course for me to do that and 2)I won't get the credit if I don't do it.
Today was the CTE opening meeting. There was some good information passed on, but it was a really long and tedious meeting. We started at about 8:45am, had a break from 10-10:15am, had lunch from 12:30-1pm, then finished at 3:30pm. Good thing I'm getting paid to go to these meetings.
I've been having the hardest time sitting still in these meetings. I had to get up and move around the back of the room. Then I had to try and figure out what exactly out of all the information I needed to pay attention to . . . because you can't pay attention to all of it at the same time.
We'll see what the meeting tomorrow at the high school has in store. I think that'll be a bit more informative considering it has to do with the actual school I'm teaching at. Plus, we'll have a department meeting and I can see exactly who I'll be working with and what it is that I'll actually be teaching. Can you believe it? It is just a few days before school starts and they haven't given me my schedule yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment