Friday, August 14, 2009

Another pre-day

Today was the first meeting at the school with the rest of the faculty. It was a little weird going back to the school and having some of the teachers recognize me. Some recognized my last name, some my face. The orchestra teacher came over and started chatting with me. I wasn't too surprised that he remembered me considering I had him for the 4 years I was there; but that was about 6 years ago.

Anyway, today didn't go as smoothly as I really wanted it to. After the meeting wrapped up I was able to take a look at my lab with the computers in place. It was nice to see everything out of the boxes, but my lab is still a bit of a mess.

I'm just a bit peeved at how slowly things are moving at the school. I was hoping that I would have been able to get into my lab today and have the computers done and ready for me to take a look at them and see what software I have to work with and what version they are so I would have some time this weekend to find out what I could about the programs and what it is that I need to learn/relearn. But they weren't set up so I couldn't see that. The next thing that happened was I found out that the teacher I'm taking over for left some of her resources on her network drive, so I tried to log in. The district still hadn't moved my access from the elementary school to the high school, so I couldn't log in. At about noonish, one of the other teachers who had access to the drive logged in and I started transferring some of the information to my thumb drive so I could work with it over the weekend. At 3 when the office closed, the files weren't finished downloading. I have nothing this weekend. Nothing. I can't get back into the office to get my drive (hoping that it will be finished) so there is no reason for me to go to the school this weekend.

I've had a couple of people tell me to day that I'm just stressing out over nothing. That I have "first year jitters" and that "it's no big deal, just wing it through the first few days. They really don't do anything anyway". *dumbfounded look* WHAT?! There is no way in hell that I am going to just "wing it" through the first few days. The students will eat me alive and I don't think I will be able to recover from that. I still don't have a disclosure document finished for any of the 4 classes that I'm teaching. I'm still trying to figure out exactly when it is that I have class and when my prep period is. And, to top it all off, one of the administrators told me today that I may have upwards of 40 students in 4 of my classes . . . each semester. My jaw dropped when I heard that. 40 students?! But I only have 32 computer in my classroom! I don't have a computer in my office, and they aren't giving me a laptop, and they aren't replacing the computer in my pull-out room, so what am I supposed to do? Stay at the school until 7-8 at night to try and get my stuff done? I don't have a computer at home that I can work on.

I'm just not in a good mood right now and it is fast approaching the time that I will have students in my classroom and they are like sharks who can smell the littlest bit of blood in the water. If the students realize that I don't really have the slightest idea what it is I am doing and what is going on in my classroom, they will eat me alive.

Not a happy thought.

1 comment:

Jakob said...

Yeah, students can smell blood in the water, and that can be scary. The only thing scarier than that is a teacher shark that eats up any student that tries to do take advantage of that. In other words, be the bigger shark (cue JAWS music).