Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 157

I can't believe information and instructions can leak out of student's brains for the 20 steps that they take to their seats. I was amazed at how many questions I got about the instructions 1 minute after giving them. Unbelievable! The instructions were to send an e-mail to the person sitting next to them using the school's e-mail system and to CC it to me. The instructions are written on the board plus my e-mail address. I got so many questions about what to do I had each of the students tell me what I had just said and what their neighbor had just said. I feel like a bloody broken record today! Ugg! I can't believe it.

I know that by now most students are sick of being in a classroom and to be honest, so are most of the teachers. That is one of the reasons why on the weekends if I see one of my students, I don't say anything to them. I really don't want to be bothered yet again. Many of my students are good students. But it is those few who are a pain in the classroom that I don't want to see on the weekends that I do end up seeing. It is kind of nice not living in the same town that I teach, but most of the entertainment is in that town so I do end up seeing them.

I cannot believe the amount of problems my students are beginning to give me. It is insane! After talking with my mom who is also an educator, she gave me some research that shows that most youth brains begin to shut down around the first few weeks in May if they are on a year long schedule. Think of how the teachers feel. We're sick of all the complaining and the problems that are coming from the students.

I had the interview with the principal and the administrators. I think I did okay. I wasn't as confident as I could have been, but then again my anxiety got the best of me. I wasn't *completely* ready for the interview, but they seemed confident in how I answered stuff. The one thing I didn't believe was what one of the interviewees wanted to do. I heard this from the secretary afterward. After my interview I came back up to class to continue to teach. I had someone covering my class so I relieved them and continued teaching. What was happening down in the office was the other interviewee wanted to come up and look at my classroom and see the programs that I've been teaching. WHILE I was in class. Luckily the secretary is on my side about keeping me and she said that it wasn't appropriate and very unprofessional to do that because it would send the wrong message to me.

Now I play the waiting game.

At least I'll know if any of my students placed in the film festival tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to taking a few of them up there, but at least I don't have too much to worry about.

No comments: