I made a interesting error to say the least in my film class. After talking about how lights can get hot and to be careful around them, I burned myself on one. Yep, I've got my first teaching scar . . . a burn on my left hand. I thought that the housing of the light was going to be a bit cooler, but it turned out that that isn't the way that it works. Also, these lights are kind of old and the housing of some of them aren't solid anymore. Ouch.
But today I'm not being so nice. The computer tech class really pushed me beyond my limits today and I just said that everyone lost 5 points from their professionalism section and to bring up their cards. The few who were really talking pulled out their cards, but the rest of them were kind of startled that I would pull points from everyone because of a few that were talking. While they were working out in the lab, I decided to go individually around and talk to each of them. It ended up working out that only half of them really were talking and admitted it. I'm just to the point that I'm not going to take any more crap from any of the students. If that makes me mean ole teacher, then so be it, but I do expect respect because that is what they want, so why shouldn't I have it as the teacher.
There are times that I really wish we could be physical discipline back into the schools. I can't touch the students, I can't even really yell at them either. I want the days that they would have to stand with their nose against the blackboard for the class period. I want the days that I could use a ruler against their legs when they were acting out in class. I want the days that I could tape their mouths shut to get them to zip it.
But the next class is the class I'm up against at the moment. In this class I have the Disgusto Twins. These two boys just really try my patience and they say off the wall comments and rude comments as well. There isn't much I can do about it, but we'll see what happens when I really decide to start pulling rank as "The Teacher".
1 comment:
Youz need a dunce cap, man. If only, if only. The ruler thing sounds good too ;)
Post a Comment