It has just barely started and I'm already ready to go home. My first class of the day is my multimedia class and they are not cooperating today. I thought that working with the upper classmen would be a bit easier than working with the freshmen, but my freshmen class is almost easier. I guess they are still trained from elementary and middle school.
In the class today I decided to give them the entire time to complete their movie poster in Photoshop. Ugg. That was a bad decision. They really didn't work. Most just chatted with their neighbor considering I had made the assignment due first thing friday morning, which is in 1 and a half periods away, but they decided that they didn't need the time, so they wasted it. Then at the end of the period when I told them that they wasted it and that the poster was due on wednesday, they threw a hissy fit! Wow. Plus they have a quiz on Photoshop coming up soon, so we'll see how well I taught them and how well they study.
Right now is my freshmen computer tech course and they are doing okay, but I have a few talkative kids that just want to lose more points and they don't realize that there is no way for them to get a A in this class anymore. It'll be interesting during PTCs on wednesday.
Thats another thing I'm not looking forward to is PTCs. Parent Teacher Conferences are horrible! You rarely get the parents that you really need to come in. You get the parents who's students are already doing well and they want to know how to bump up their student's grade. I had one student today ask if I had any extra credit work for him to do to bump up his grade. He's missing 2 assignments. That is the reason why his grade is low. When I asked him if he'd rather do "extra" work rather than the "for credit" work he said that he wanted the extra work. So guess what . . . he's got extra work. It is harder and longer than the "for credit" work and I expect it by wednesday. When I showed him the packet and told him that, he got this look on his face and handed the packet back to me and said he would do the "for credit" work. Maybe that is one strategy that I need to keep in my arsenal.
This next class is one I am not looking forward to. I have a set of girls in there that decided it was alright to cheat on an assignment and they handed it in. Now I've got to confront them about it and I'm sure one of them is going to blow up because she gets really defensive. I suspected it when I saw one of the girls helping the other on an online language test when I know that she wasn't supposed to be doing that. The other thing was when I was giving them time to work on their assignment during class they kept looking over their shoulder to see if I was looking at them or not. Right there a red flag went up so I decided to check in on their H: drive and sitting right there was the assignment in one girls name at the top and the other name at the bottom. So they received an automatic 0 on their assignment and I have a sneaky suspicion that they cheated on this assignment as well, which will earn them an F in class and get them kicked out of the class. Which means they have to repeat the class. I doubt they can take it from me again, but we'll see what happens.
I really wish this week was over already. It's going to be a long week considering they put PTCs in the middle of the week.
Ugg.
No comments:
Post a Comment