Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 20

Tonight is the dreaded Parent/Teacher conferences. It seems like this is the bane of teachers existences. Dealing with most parents isn't a problem. It is when you get the parents who think that their child is the most important one out there and that is all that matters, so I should be paying special attention to them. I've been working with the IEPs and 504s the way that I have to, but it is when a student gets 19 out of 20 and the parent wants to know what their student can do to make up the 1 point that they lost. Ug. I think I have a few parents who may show up like that tonight. We'll see.

But the two parents I really don't want to see but also kind of want to talk with them are the parents of my Cheater Girls. Cheater Girl 1 gave me the look of "crap, she found out" and just took the fact that she got a 0 on the assignment and continued on with the rest of the second assignment. Cheater Girl 2 gave me the look of "how dare you think I cheated?!" and glared at me the entire time I told the two of them that I had found out. I decided to do both of them together for the fact that I didn't want an explanation. There isn't an explanation for cheating. I don't care why you did it, it is just that you did and you let someone else go down with you. Both of them don't have a chance of getting an A in the class. I believe the highest they may receive is either a low A- or a B+ and if they keep up the chatting that they like to do across the room, then it will drop even lower. I'm just waiting for the parents to come in and say that their perfect little angel wouldn't cheat and how dare I even think about saying that. It won't matter that I have proof that they did cheat. Some parents you just don't want to work with, at any level.

But I'm running out of ideas of what to teach the students in Photoshop. They are working on their final project and then their quiz will be sometime next week. I think they've had enough time on the program to know the gist of it and then 4th term when they need to do their portfolio, they'll have to got a bit deeper than I taught them. I am ready to move on to Illustrator, however I am thinking that I should give them a day of them searching for their own tutorials and they have to complete 2 online tutorials that they found in order to prove that they did learn something--or at least can follow directions. But once we're in Illustrator, it should become fun again. I like working in Illustrator. But I've got to teach them the difference between Raster and Vector graphics before I can continue on and sometimes I still get confused between the two.

The basic computer tech courses are moving along. Luckily enough I don't have to think too much while teaching those classes because of how structured they are. I am relearning a few things as I go along that I had forgotten because I just don't use those formatting tools or formats all that often.

The TV/Video courses are moving along as well, although I think my students wished that I would move along faster so they could just get behind the camera and get out of class to film. They just barely started on Premiere and then once they get through the tour of that they will be starting on News Reports. They are already complaining that News Reports are dumb and that they should be able to report on what they want instead of on what I choose. I think I'm going to have a few Nursery Rhymes in a hat and they have to pick one of those to work on, then they have to do a school event, then they get to choose what they want. That way they have three news reports on their grade and they get it through their skulls on what news reports really are. After that is when we start on the stuff for the HSFF. But I think I am going to talk to them about Piracy because that has started to be the "norm" with these students and they don't think anything about sharing stuff.

But lets see if I can survive PTCs tonight with a headache and a cold. Ugg. Teaching when I don't feel well isn't fun.

No comments: