Tuesday, August 24, 2010

P.E. Day 1

Yep, looks like I'm hijacking this blog for a little bit and instead of teaching CTE, I'm teaching PE. Yeah the initials changed along with everything else. I'm not really qualified to teach this subject. Yeah, I know how to play sports and I can buy and read every book out there on the subject of teaching PE, but I'm just not qualified to teach it.

Reasons why?

Well, for one, it is Elementary. I'm more of a secondary education person. Two: it isn't my subject area. I really have no drive to teach this and I think it is important to have drive in anything that you do. Three: I really like being in a classroom with computers and having time to rest my voice. With PE, I really don't have a chance because I'm constantly talking. Four: Yes, I do have a great resource with my mother being who she is (the physical education pedagogy teacher at the local university) but I still didn't have the drive to do this in the university, what makes you think that I'll have the drive to do it now?

It sounds like a bunch of whining and while some it may be, the rest is actually valid. It shows the state of education when you don't need an endorsement in a particular area to teach it. And to be completely fair, I'm not really considered a teacher, it is a "staff" position so I'm in instructor. See, teachers get benefits and are paid almost double what I'm making at the moment. No benefits and a low salary.

Many people that I've spoken with say that I should be grateful that I at least have a job. Yes, I'm grateful that I have a job, but not so grateful that I have to get another part-time job just to be able to pay my bills because someone higher up decided that because I was considered a "first-year teacher" they could drop me and go with someone else. (yeah, there is still a lot of stuff that I haven't said anything about from the last job. I'll get around to it one of these days.)

Oh well, at least for the next little while I'm not really doing anything. Today may be the first day of school, but PE doesn't start until next week (at least, that is what I have told the teachers. We'll see if any of them really check their email and see the message.

Here goes another year.

No comments: