Even though I don't have a solid teaching job for the next year, I'm still going to all the different conferences that I was requested to go to.
The first one in the middle of June was a business conference. It covered some of the stuff through MultiMedia, but mostly it was a waste of time. It seemed like it was geared more towards middle school teachers and specific secondary education teachers. Luckily enough, there were vendors at the conference and the great thing about that is I can order free textbooks. I guess that is one good thing about being a teacher. But luckily it was about a 30 minute drive, so it didn't seem all that bad.
The second conference--which is one I'm at right now--is the TV Broadcasting/Video Production one. I thought this would be the best one of the summer. I could get good ideas and network with other teachers in the state. Not so much. The majority of people who speak are those who have been teaching for a long time and aren't all that current with what is going on. They just want to continue with what they've been doing for years and when someone "newer" says something that contridicts what they have to say, they get defensive. It is mostly geared towards the Broadcasting side of things and I wasn't teaching that this past year and I don't know what--if any--studio stuff will be availabe with my new job (when I get one). There have been a few other things that have been said that I've enjoyed and I got to see an old friend from the industry who stopped by to say/show something. They also did two different "make-and-take" sessions that I enjoyed. Even if I don't teach this next year, at least I've got stuff for me personally to use.
But if I was in charge of the conference, I would be doing things a lot differently; that way people can pick and choose what they really want to come to and what is going on. I would also ask more people than just the "directors and hosts" what they wanted to be seen during the conference.
Oh well, at least I'm getting credit.
No comments:
Post a Comment