State Testing has commenced. I have students who are seriously stressing out because of it. It isn't that big of a deal, but with the way they are all acting, you would think that it was the end of the world if they didn't pass this test. Luckily enough we haven't had any major meltdowns (students or computers) yet so I'm hoping that the rest of testing goes this smoothly.
I'm still in the middle of everything when it comes to my job. I'm not a fan of the way it was handled and the more I find out about the "situation" the more I have a bitter taste in my mouth. I really want to do something about it, but for the moment I am on a fact finding mission and I have to keep telling myself to "keep your mouth shut." I'm started chewing gum (one of my pet peeves!) so I have something to occupy my mouth if I have an issue with someone. The one thing I can say about it all is one of the reasons I wasn't considered for the job again was my "teaching style". Apparently because I get results and I set the bar high for them to achieve, I am considered strict. Yep, because I have high expectations and hold to them, I am strict. I don't understand it either.
I have seen great improvement in how my students act when I hold them accountable for their actions. I have seen improvement in how the students achieve when I tell them that I won't accept "I can't" as an answer. I have seen my film students grow because I am pushing them to finish their final film and use the knowledge that I have shown them. I am seeing results. If that means I am strict, then so be it.
2 comments:
Your blog angers me. Not your writing, but the information you present. You were fired because of your teaching style? Because you push students to achieve? Because you force them to dig down and actually accomplish? Because you challenge them? I'm sorry, but isn't that what teachers are supposed to do?
I'm getting angrier and angrier just thinking about it. I mean, I realize that the younger generations were spoiled idiots, but I assumed it was because they had advantages. Turns out, our educational system actually WANTS them to be idiots, because it's easier to let them slack than to actually learn. I find it to be utterly disgusting.
Older generations accused mine of being the same way. I suppose this is some sort of "payback." I only take solace in the fact that when these kids grow up, their offspring will be even dumber than they were. Then I can smile.
I wasn't exactly "fired" just not rehired. I'm looking at it more as a "surplussing" than anything else.
Yes, it is frustrating to me too. I'm glad that it's coming out in my writing, otherwise I'm afraid of what it would do to my classroom etiquette. But I'm still investigating everything and I'm finding more and more that is a breach of contract law (I'm so happy to have a law background!) so I'm still gathering information.
I agree with you. The education system is more about getting them through tests and "how well your students test" is more important than how well they know the information and if they can use it.
Post a Comment