Well, it has started over again. And man, have I had a very rough start. Things have not been smooth one bit.
To start things off, you would think getting "newer" computers would be a good thing. More powerful, hopefully faster, but no. This has been the worst start to a school year than anything I've ever encountered. NOTHING WORKS!!! There are only 7 computers out of the 33 that are actually working. Yes, you read that number right . . . 7. And it isn't because I have been slacking off on getting them ready to go. Oh no. I actually have nothing to do with it. It falls all within the Tech people of the district and they keep shuffling their feet. "We'll look into it" is the reply I hear most often from them. I am beginning to hate that phrase.
So, not being able to use the computers (still, 4 days into the semester) has put me into a kind of a bind. What in the frack do I do with technology students when I can't use the technology? They have been doing worksheets. Yep, reading articles and filling out worksheets. Busy work. The one thing that I absolutely hate. They don't learn much--even though I try to find articles that would be somewhat educational. They aren't getting much out of it. They aren't learning the skills that they need to be successful in the class once the computers actually are up and running (which I believe will happen sometime this school year, just don't know when).
I stress every single day I go home over what I can do with the students the following days. Now I am dreading the weekend because that brings the start to a new week and the first two days of extended classes. On Mondays and Tuesdays we have 90 minute classes instead of the usual 45 minutes. What am I supposed to do; bring a movie and have them fill out yet another worksheet? I don't know what I am going to show them nor do I have any inkling what I actually can show them that would be beneficial to them in the long run.
This year has started off on the wrong foot 100%. I'm not sure if this is even worth doing anymore. Yes, it is a paycheck but at what expense. . . . . . . .me.
No comments:
Post a Comment