Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December. . . finally and an article

Yeah, I haven't been keeping up with this blog all that often, not due to lack of time, but more due to there hasn't been anything worth writing about. I'm dealing with the same crap that I've been dealing with for the past 2 years and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

It is finally December, which means that in 2 weeks, I've got a 2 week break. Doesn't seem like much, but there is something that needs to come of it. I need an unwind period. I'm ready to be away from these students and their complaining. I've noticed that the more they complain, the more I don't want to be here anymore.

I was sent this article recently and it hit home pretty well (to read the full article, click HERE). In it, the author talks about how he wouldn't tell young people to become teachers. And I somewhat agree with him; however I would ask the person why they feel they want to be a teacher. I was recently asked to go back to my University and talk to some incoming sophomores in the program I graduated from and talk to them. Yeah, I don't think it was the talk they were hoping for, but some of the students were thankful to me for giving them the truth (or at least the truth as I see it).

Teachers will soon have their paid tied to student performance (in some states it's already happening). What will happen? Students will figure that out and get rid of the teachers they don't like because they are "hard" by not performing well on tests. Will that reflect what is actually going on in the classroom? Not really, just that the students don't want to work and the teacher will suffer for it.

Tenure used to mean that there was some job security. Now, it just means that a teacher has taught for more than 3 years and the school hasn't let them go. Does it mean that they are good teachers? Maybe, maybe not; but it no longer means that they can't get fired. It just means that they can fight it.

Many states are moving away from teacher "contracts"; which ultimately means that we are moving towards 'at-will' employment. Double edged sword in my opinion. One side, it will be easier for schools to get rid of the teachers that--after lengthy and careful consideration--aren't working in the classroom, but on the flip side; it means that those who actually hold the students accountable for their actions and their learning are ousted because they won't bend to the will of the parents (I've seen it happen).

For most, they believe in the ideals that they will be able to help students and love "helping kids achieve their potential". Yeah, because there is NO way that you're in it for the money. The reality behind it is that while you may want to help students, they know that you really can't do anything to them (other than give them a grade); you can't discipline them. You really can't and they know it. So, like the author of the article states, why should their behavior change. I've seen this. They don't care about the grade or how they act because they know there is nothing that the Teacher can do about it.

This next generation is going to be one of the laziest that I've seen in a long time. They don't understand what it takes to actually get the job done and get it done well.

What am I getting at with this rambling post? Most new teachers leave within 5 years of starting teaching because they don't see it getting any better and many work 40+ hours and are paid pennies in comparison. There is a reason why they don't want us actually logging our hours. They would see exactly how much time teachers take to prepare lessons, grade assignments, take required classes due to changing rules, prepare tests, and use their own money to keep their classrooms with the basic needs and still get berated for not doing enough.

Yeah, I'm one of those who don't know how much longer I want to continue with all of this.

No comments: