Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Frustration Abounds and starting a new school year

Another school year has started. Well, technically it starts tomorrow, but I'm not looking forward to it. Actually, I haven't been looking forward to this year at all. We're starting a new program at the school (which I was excited about at the end of last year) but now that we've run into so many problems, I'm having second thoughts about it.

What's happening is driving me nuts. I have a Window's lab and it is rather old. At the district we're at a 5-6 year cycle with our computers. Mine are about 7-8 years or older. We've been using XP as our OS since I took over the position and it works great with different users and programs. Well, last Friday we were back in our classrooms for the first time and a tech guy from the district came in and said that XP was no longer going to be supported so the district decided to change all XP machines. That day. Yes, 3 days before school was supposed to start. So since they didn't buy new machines for me, the ONLY upgrade (and I hesitate to call it that) was to  . . . . . . . Vista. YUCK! This isn't an upgrade at all.

So after 2 days of him working on it, half the lab still isn't finished and the half that is, doesn't work. Then they re-imaged my teacher computer and it doesn't connect to the network or the printers and half the software doesn't work.

So not happy at all. Frustrated at everything. We'll see how the first day tomorrow goes.

No comments: