Friday, March 29, 2013

Spring Break

The few days before Spring Break, my students get completely crazy. They don't want to be here. I don't want to be here, but yet we both have to be here, so I usually try to make this week easy. We had an early out day in the middle of the week, plus an activity day today, so it wasn't that bad.

However, I have so many students who aren't in class. I received an email from a parent today asking "Since it's an activity day schedule, you aren't really doing any real class work, are you?" How do you reply to that in a nice way? Took me a while, but I was able to compose a reply. Wasn't exactly what I wanted to say, but it was something that I know won't get me in trouble (which at this point I'm trying to avoid at all costs).

With Spring Break comes a time for me to figure out if this education thing is something I really want to continue or if I should figure out something else to do. I see the future of education going down the tube and I don't want to be sucked down with it. There are changes happening here in my district that I don't agree with what-so-ever. Most have to deal with how I am to be paid in the future. It's alright for those teachers who have tenure and are somewhat "secure" in their jobs. But what I don't think people understand is what happens to those teachers who are just starting off. You're going to get more and more turn over because after 1 year of this, most newbies will probably say "bag it" and move on to something else. I wish I had that option right now but I'm not sure what else I could do. I've been told by many people to just stick with it, get my masters and then apply for a University or College position teaching at that level. Sure, possible but that means more education and more not agreeing with what is happening and having no real way to stop it.

I guess that is what this next week is for.

No comments: