As we come back from the break and a new semester soon starts, it makes me think about how students are feeling at this time. Some are so set in their ways that no matter what you try to get them to do, they won't budge. These are the students that I regrettable say "I give up. Fine. Fail." I can't legally say that to their face, but I really stop caring. I know that is bad to think about as a teacher, but you can't save all the students from themselves, as much as you want to.
This group of students haven't been that bad, but looking into next semester, I've got some PAINS coming. I've worked with the students before, so unless they have changed drastically, this could get interesting.
I haven't had to attend any IEP meetings this year so far and I'm enjoying that fact. I don't have to deal with the Special Ed teachers. I don't have to deal with the parents saying that their kid "needs ________" or "you aren't giving them enough attention and that is the reason they are failing" or blah blah blah. Yes, I'm getting cynical but I need to start doing that otherwise things get crazy around here.
Grading hasn't been that much of a challenge for me lately. I grade as the students turn it in. At this point in the semester (the end) I don't give them that much help on assignments. They should be able to think and figure things out for themselves. Only when they get really stuck do I give them any direction, and even then it is just a quick little hint. I think too many teachers/parents/whoever are giving the students the answer instead of letting their minds develop and figure it out for themselves. It is hurting them in the long run if they can't figure things out and always have to rely on someone else to come up with the answer or how to get something else done.
No comments:
Post a Comment