Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Winter Breaks

Can't winter break be here already?  This time of the year is really hard to be a teacher.  It's only been a few months but you are already sick of certain students.  They make life really hard.  One of the things that the school does is have an "Intervention" time.  Pretty much the failing students have a chance to go and get their grade up and the passing students can choose to get work done or get a break.  In concept it is a good thing, but how it is carried out is another.

For 1, certain teachers are "assigned" to be either Intervention teachers or Flex teachers.  You can guess what student can go to what.  I happen to be assigned as an Intervention person, which is alright because at times it is more like babysitting.  However, I have the added distraction of having computers in the room and that is all my classroom is set up for.  I don't have tables on the side.  All I have are computers.  So when a student comes in during Intervention and hands me the white slip of paper, I expect them to be working on whatever class it is that they are failing.  9 times out of 10 though the student isn't interested in working on what they're missing and they'd rather play.  I may have to start shutting down my computers and then having them reboot during the next class (which is a hassle for me!).  The district is very very slow in getting the control software installed on my computer so I don't have the ability to shut down or log off a specific student yet.  I did for a while and then they decided to reinstall something on the student computers and now they don't work.  Stinks for me!

But to have such a short winter break is hard on both teachers and students.  My winter break doesn't happen until next Wednesday.  Yep, the 22nd.  I then go back to work January 2nd.  Many parents complained that their students were at home for too long, so they put more days in the school calender in December.  Now scheduling is getting even worse.  Many students are complaining that lunch is too long.  They get about 25 minutes, meaning I get 15-20.  That isn't long enough for me.  But the students want a shorter lunch.  Some of the complaints are that "there isn't anything to do", "it's too long away from my friends" (yeah, I laughed at that one too), and so on.  And the administration is actually believing them!!  It is driving me nuts!  At least the faculty is taking a stand and trying to stop them from changing the schedules.  If lunch is "too long" for the students then perhaps they should have something organized for the students to do after they finish lunch.  Either that or keep all the students in the lunch room.  They can chat or just sit for a moment.  You're kidding me that they want soo badly to get back into the classroom.

Okay, rant over.

I really do enjoy having a classroom job back, but there are times that I wish major changes could be done.

No comments: