I have come to the conclusion that I can be too soft-hearted at times. I just had a student come in and ask why his last term grade was an F. We've been in the new semester for almost 2 weeks and he comes now to talk with me about that? It is amazing what students will try and go. He is one of the Swim Boys I had. He would screw around in class all the time, talking, off task, no wonder he received the grade that he did. He's telling me that the last time he looked it was a B- and he didn't have to worry about turning anything else in, so he didn't. Now he has to retake the last term of Comp Tech just because he didn't turn anything in during the last week or so of class. It is amazing that he thinks he could come in and try and change my mind. But unfortunately I have given in a bit and am going to allow him to hand in his interview he had to do. No, I'm not going to give him full points, just enough so he has a 70% and doesn't have to bother any of the computer tech teachers again. He really is a hard student to work with. He doesn't mind during class, it seems that he wants to hear his voice more than anyone elses, he'd rather talk and walk around than do his work. I'd rather have him out of here and not have to retake the class then having him again in the class.
But on a lighter note, I have a very international class for one of my computer tech periods. It is interesting to see the difference between these students and the "american" students. This class always says "thank you" after the class is over. They are willing to talk with me if they don't understand something. They tend to be a bit more respectful than some of my other classes. It is interesting. But there are some downsides to everything as well. For instance, there are 5 languages spoken in this class. Most are at the "proficient" level of ESL to be in mainstream classes and feel okay, however this being technology there are terms that are specific and unfamiliar and I have no idea how to make it a bit more comfortable for those students. I try my best to make sure they understand it at least a little by putting pictures up on everything and trying to make references to what we have in the lab.
My film class still has its goof-offs, but I think they are beginning to realize that I mean business and buckle down. They have to have ideas drawn out and ready to go by the beginning of class today, which is in about 40 minutes. I wonder how many of them are going to be doing that during their lunch break. I still have a few that think the class is a bird course, but this second semester tends to run quickly because it is all project based and they have a focus in mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment